Recalling the glorious days of urethane bowling balls? Isn’t reactive resin giving you the satisfaction you desire? Then, it’s time for a change and something new. Let us introduce you to the Storm Pitch Black bowling ball, one of the newest addition to the Storm family and the Thunder line. Storm has combined and recombined various materials to make this perfect solid Pitch Black bowling ball which is every bowler’s dream. Although urethane ball is generally called “old school”, let us tell you in this Storm Pitch Black Review why it is much more than that.
Why this bowling ball is best?
Great for controlled shots and ball movement, this urethane ball is great for players of all speed. Those who want to take a break from reactive resin, get this grippy, good-looking ball for its early motion, quick reads, higher hook, and predictable reaction.
The most attractive thing about the Storm Pitch Black bowling ball is its newly formulated urethane coverstock. The ball sports a completely upgraded coverstock that no one had seen before. Some of you are probably familiar with the Storm Fever Pitch and Storm Fast Pitch. Yes, both have Urethane coverstock, but unlike those two, Pitch Black’s coverstock is much more advanced. The Controll Solid Urethane is guaranteed to provide a truer urethane motion that you haven’t seen in a long time.
The Storm Pitch Black’s surface is sanded which gives it a matte look. On top of that, it has a dull 1000 grit factory finish which is perfectly rough enough to foreshadow its excellent overall motion on dry and lighter oil patterns. Trust us, this is the finish you want in your urethane ball for overall friction coefficient as it’ll allow a distinctive and predictable early motion on dry or short-oil conditions.
It’s not only the coverstock that is new in this bowling ball, Storm has also included a technologically developed symmetrical core almost similar to Storm Pitch Purple.. The brand new Capacitor core (looks like a light bulb) is designed to regulate your flare potential. Unlike the Turbine core of Storm’s Nature Series, Pitch Black carries a comparatively higher RG and lower differential. It doesn’t matter if you’re a slow speed or high rev bowler, you will enjoy a much better overall ball reaction on the lanes and nothing will stop you from winning.
The ball color is plain and simple. It is the darkest black you have ever seen in a bowling ball. Moreover, the matte surface makes it look much darker than regular black bowling balls. If bright color balls are a bit distracting for you to aim, this solid black ball is perfect for seeing the light.
See also: Storm Nova Bowling Ball Review
See also: Storm Fate
As mentioned, you’ll be more than pleased to see the overall ball motion Pitch Black has to offer. One of the most notable things is how well the ball carries on the lanes, from beginning till the end. The combination of the Capacitor Core and the ball surface preparation and the coverstock is absolutely perfect. This particular construction allows the ball to deliver a low amount of flare (2” medium-low) but, at the same time, it showed a nice pop on the backend.
Sometimes urethane balls get a little tricky to carry as they make quite a gradual move into the pocket. Thankfully, Pitch Black lets you create the right Mid-lane Control breakpoint shape and a perfect angle that goes straight into the pocket. When the oil patterns start to get heavier, take out this bad boy and mesmerize everyone. Show how the pins fly all over the deck with our recent favorite Pitch Black by Storm!
Generally, urethane balls are known for medium to high hooking as it reads the lane fast, and consequently uses its energy earlier. You’ll also get an uninterrupted ball motion downlane. Because of its high RG (2.57) and low differential (0.022) design, the rough urethane coverstock outshines the weight block and ends up creating an early hook. Indeed, this Performance level bowling ball hooks less than the Blue Hammer bowling ball, but decent enough for players who want to give urethane balls another shot.
- The formulated urethane coverstock of Pitch Black ensures expected breakpoint shape on dry to short oil patterns. Be glad to see its smooth backend and downlane motion, almost comparable to the Motiv Tank Blitz.
- This bowling ball is designed to allow you to control its movement. This is because Pitch Black gives you plenty of room to work with, meaning, the ball is quite adaptive. You will receive the predicted results with every shot.
- If you don’t have a good experience with previous urethane bowling balls, do try out the Storm Pitch Black. You’ll experience the truest urethane fun and realize immediately why all those hypes was all about. Over the past decades, we have seen many urethane, performance-level bowling ball, but this Pitch Black beats all the odds. Back in the 80s, urethane ball dominated, and now, Pitch Black is doing the same with its early break and amazing hook.
- Due to being adaptive, you will never have to adjust to the ball reactivity with the Strom Pitch Black. It will act as a great extension to your overall ball motions and shots on dry lane conditions. This will let the players get some additional oomph.
- Whether you’re a low speed bowler or a high rev one, this bad boy got you covered. The Pitch Black bowling ball will surely be a revelation to your bowling game performance.
- Despite being a urethane ball, the Pitch Black has a score of 72-74 Rex D-scale as per the Durometer. So you can guess how strong this bowling ball is. It will last a lifetime, no doubt!
- Never dare to roll this ball on heavier and complex oil patterns. The ball will simply lose its length and won’t even able to knock down pins. The ball is friction-friendly, which means oil absorption is a big NO.
- Bowling with lower rev will experience a significant amount of struggles with our beloved Pitch Black bowling ball. In fact, they might face less efficacy while playing with the ball if there isn’t the extra oomph behind all of their shots.
If you’re in need of a bowling ball that provides pinpoint control and hits the pins heavily, Pitch black is the one for you! Everything about this ball represents classic. If you’re not happy with the newly designed reactive resin or hybrid balls, blast back to the past with this urethane masterpiece. Give this ball a shot, or as many shots as you want, the Pitch black isn’t going anywhere without giving you what you want.
Last update on 2024-02-23 / Affiliate links / Images from Amazon Product Advertising API